Wednesday, December 30, 2009

WORDS

Word [wurd] noun- a unit of language, consisting of one or more spoken sounds or their written representation, which functions as a principal carrier of meaning.



"Words are alive. Cut them and they bleed."-- Ralph Waldo Emerson


"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind."-- Rudyard Kipling 


"Words have the power to both destroy and heal. When words are both true and kind, they can change our world."-- Buddha



Words have always been so important to me. I think I have always understood their power and the meaning they could hold. Words can convey so much more than just their definitions. With different combinations of words, method of delivery, voice tone, facial expression the possibilities are endless.


Some people have a way with words. Different authors I could read for hours. Certain people I could listen to for days. I love to read and write. They are something that I am very passionate about. Even in my counseling profession I always strive to say the right thing. I have been hurt, broken, uplifted, loved, healed, and inspired by words.


Not everyone is affected by words the way I am. For some the words they say are what they mean. There is no hidden meaning. They have no intent to harm. The words they say are not deep rooted. As much as I love words in their entirety, I have to remember that sometimes they are just words.




2 comments:

Sierra said...

I totally agree that words are both powerful and are just words at the same time. I too love to write as well and you are a great writer Cary!

achildoftheking said...

Carly... I love this post. And speaking of words... God's word is quite powerful. I'm posting my word list for 2010. I'm praying that God will use me to reach out to those who need to hear a word to uplift them. Praise God!