Monday, December 14, 2009

TIME = LOVE

As you may or may not know, I am a counselor intern at a psychiatric hospital on the adolescent unit. I work with kids from ages 13-17 that are either suicidal &/or homicidal. They usually have some other things going on like self injury, poly substance abuse, hallucinations, or many other combinations of things. One of my jobs is to do family therapy. Let me tell you that about 99.9% of the kids admit that the reason they are acting out in such negative ways is because they are just trying to get someone's attention. Each one of them has tried to get positive attention with no success so they resort to getting negative attention. It is really sad.


I heard once that the best gift you could give someone is your time because that is something that you cannot get it back or get more. 


The Bible tells us, "Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth" 1 John 3:18. 


"and live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God." Ephesians 5:2


"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16


See love is not a feeling it is an action. One definition is to take great pleasure in. How can you love someone (take great pleasure in) without giving them your time? I just don't get it. I am sure that each one of you that is a parent gives your children time. In fact I know that I have read some of the fun things you do with them. 


I don't have kids, but I know that there are people in my life that I could show more love too by giving them more of my time. 



1 comment:

Jessica said...

We talk about that a lot in our counseling program as well. Time is so important because you may be the ONLY person that's giving it to them and that will make a world of difference. Great post!