Saturday, March 27, 2010

To Read Or Not To Read?........


.......that is the question?????

Someone asked me recently why I liked to read fiction books. "Do you do it to escape?" was a question that was included. It made me think..... "Hum why do I like to read fiction books?" (I like non fiction too. I can just get sucked into a fiction book.) Reading is fun for me. I am a pretty creative person with a big imagination. I think reading allows me a way to stretch and exercise my imagination.  I don't the chance to as often to do that as an adult as I did as a child. The conversation came about because I was reading a series for the 3rd time, and I was sucked in like I had never read it before. Each time I read it I picked up something new and I saw a different picture each time. I love the freedom and decision the reader has when reading.

Another thought that came to me after the conversation was, "What if I did read to escape?" Don't get me wrong....I have no reason to escape like I use to. I love my life, but sometimes it is nice to focus on something else...to not think about the crazy world we live in. Isn't escape kind of the point of leisure activies and hobbies....to check out from the responsiblity and just have a little fun?

Do you like to read? What joy do you get from reading?

4 comments:

Courtney said...

there's different ways to look at "escaping" by reading - and not all ways mean that you're trying to get out of your own life for a little while. People could ask the same question about watching TV! For me, reading is using your imagination, getting out of your own head for a little while, seeing places that might not even exist in the real world, and just enjoying some down time.

Anonymous said...

When I was in college I had to read a bunch of books ( I was studying Literature - Portuguese/English ), but nowadays I love to read Christian books like Joyce Meyer. Have a Blessed Weekend!

Mindy said...

I love to read, just to read. I read everything, for any and every reasone. I like to escape into something new- but that also gives me the chance to learn something new. Every book, no matter the fictio, non-fiction, fantasy,Christian, children's, etc, there is something to be learned.

Sierra said...

I love to read but need to make more time for it, it's hard to sit down and make sure I stick with it. When I do though it is very rewarding. :)