Friday, April 30, 2010

Fiction or Fantasy

twilight Pictures, Images and Photos

OK you all know that I love Twilight. I know that many of you also love Twilight. You may also know that I work at a psychiatric hospital with adolescents. I have to tell you that Twilight and other vampire books is doing bad things for our kids today. I can't tell you how many of my patients in the past few months have friends or that believe they are vampires. I mean really?

When I grew up I had a very vivid imagination (still do). I watched fantasy movies and read fantasy books. I even played fantasy. I think an imagination is very important and playing is an art form. These kids don't have it right. I think that when they were growing up the imagination was not properly attended too or something. Now they don't know how to tell the difference in fiction and fantasy.

This is all very confusing to me. Do you have any thoughts or experiences with this?

2 comments:

Sonya said...

I read Twilight and just didn't care for it at all! It's scary when kids take things like that so literally!

Lori said...

I have made sure that I remind my kids the difference between fantasy and reality, between things that are real and things that are cartoons. I don't think some people make sure to distinguish that with their children!