Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Four Years of Freedom

Four years ago today my world was changed in the best way possible. 
I walked away from a 5 year crippling drug addiction that was stealing my life.
But this was no ordinary event.
It was by God's grace I was saved.
I had tried to get sober before with no success, 
but on April 17, 2008 God broke the chains.
I have never had the desire to get high again. 
This still amazes me to this day.
It is unheard of for people in recovery to not have a thought of using.
But God never does play by the rules.
I struggle with other things, 
but using is not one of them. 

I am amazed every day at the things that have happened in my life over the past 4 years. 
I have finished school, started a career, lived in 1 place alone for 2 years,
work with youth, made great friends, 
and had the opportunity to share my story with others. 
I remember the dark and hopeless days of using very well.
I never could have imagined feeling the way I do today.
I feel free, happy, carefree, and hopeful.
I cannot imagine how life could be any better.
I have enough to be grateful for the rest of my life.

I know that there are a lot of people out there that are broken and bonded to many things.
I pray that my life can make a difference in the lives of others by sharing my struggles.
If you are struggling or know someone who is let me know. 
I am free to talk or pray for anyone at any time. 
If you are reading this now you have been prayed for. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mizzezz Cary Taylor!! I have to say in all of the years I have known you I have never been prouder of you. You have amazed me today! It feels good to know there are truly wonderful people out there...and you, my dear...are one of them.

tara said...

Congrats on 4 years, girl! So happy for you!!

Sammielee615 said...

I am so proud of you!!! I had no idea!! But I am super proud of you and so glad I met you in life group!!! You are an absolutely beautiful person inside and out!! I can't even imagine how hard it has been. I have recently started seeking help for my "addiction" not that its nearly as comparable to what you've been through.I am just so stinking proud of you :) Not everyone has the strength to step away. I really really admire you for that :) Keep up the awesome job! You rock! Love you & miss you!!

Sonya said...

Congrats Cary! That is a great accomplishment!